Welcome to the Transportation Department!
Hanover Public School District provides transportation for students from grades K through 12, to and from school each day. Bus assignments and bus stops are determined in August. You will receive a post card in the mail with this information. If you have questions or concerns related to your child’s bus assignment or bus stop, please contact Kristin Johnson at 717-637-9000 ext. 6017 / firstname.lastname@example.org. To change a bus stop, complete the Stop Change Request below. Please be aware that no changes will be made two weeks prior to and two weeks after the first day of school and the requests will be completed on a first come first serve basis.
School Rules apply at the bus stop and during the bus ride. Please address any concerns you may have about behavior at the bus stop or on the bus by completed the “Student and Parent Complaint Form” below.
Check out our Twitter Page for Transportation Information! @hpsd_busing
Parents/Guardians of Bus Riders: If you need to reach the bus drivers or bus company after school hours, please call 717-778-8235.
Please remember that Kindergarten students must be met by a parent or guardian (or adult family member) at their bus stop each day. If no one is there to meet the Kindergarten student, the bus driver will not allow the student to depart from the bus and the student will be taken back to their school.
Bus Pass Procedure
If a student is going home with another student, please send a note with your child to school at least 24 hours prior for approval. The other student must also have a note from their parent/guardian with the same information. The note must contain both student’s names (first and last) and the date they will be riding with the other student. The office will then give your child a pass to board the bus with the other student. Students are required to give the pass to the bus driver when boarding the bus. NO student will be able to board another bus without the pass.
Bus safety is important for all students and families to remember. Please share these helpful reminders with your child as you prepare him or her for their daily bus rides:
- Talk with your child about their behavior while riding the bus. Explain that once on the bus, they should find their assigned seat and sit immediately.
- Explain that it is important to talk quietly and not be disruptive. Sudden yelling or movements can startle the bus driver and could cause an accident.
- While your child is waiting for the bus, stress that he or she should never push or shove other children. Doing so could result in a child falling into the path of oncoming traffic.
- A child should NEVER cross the street behind the bus. All students must cross the street in front of the bus.
- Review the lights and symbols on the bus so that you and your child understand that a red flashing light or stop sign means that cars need to stop at least 15 feet away, both in front and behind the bus.
- Do not board the bus until all traffic is stopped.
- Students must be silent at railroad crossings.
- No food or drinks are permitted on the buses or vans.
- Parents/Guardians: Be aware that it is against the law to board a bus.
Knowing these tips for safely can mean a safe ride for all of the children and adults involved in a bus route.
PA School Bus Stopping Law
The penalties, if convicted of violating Pennsylvania’s School Bus Stopping Law include:
- $250 Fine
- Five points on your driving record
- 60-day license suspension