Our Town

Click on thumbnails  for view full-size version.

Hanover, Pennsylvania

Many of the photographs and features in this section are part of the Clausen Collection (Carolyn Clausen [Class of 1954]). Another major contributor is Paul Hentz [Class of 1964]. Some pictures are scanned from the 1915 Official Program of the Centennial of Incorporation of the Borough of Hanover Pennsylvania. Item contributed by others are so noted.

1860 - 1900  1901 - 1910  1911 - 1920 1921 - 1930 1941 - 1950 1951 - 1960

the Hanover Black Rose


Viewing original full-size pictures

Mau-Dra Shoppe - 1940-1963
Contributed by
Mrs. Paul (Jo) Spears

Hanover Shoe Factory

Wirt Park circa 1907
This Victorian fountain stood in Center Square from 1872 to 1904 .

Center Square

The town's square has had four major changes since the early 1800s.

Hanover Shoe Farms

View other other historical photos in the

Wilfred C. Clausen Collection

Churches of Hanover The Black Rose of Hanover

1860- 1900

Viewing original full-size pictures

Richard McAllister House - First house in Hanover

Richard McAllister house. The first house built in Hanover - 1745. Photograph circa 1870. [centennial] Read more.

Rear of McAllister House on Baltimore Street. Log Structure. Date of photo unknown.
W. C. Clausen Collection

Richard McAllister house. Date of photo unknown. We suspect this picture predates the one to immediate right.
W. C. Clausen Collection

Richard McAllister house. The first house built in Hanover - 1745. Located on the corner of Baltimore and Middle Streets. Photograph circa 1890
W. C. Clausen Collection

Frederick Street - circa 1846
a painting by John Sheffer
York Street facing Broadway - 1862 [centennial] Center Square - 1863
Hanover Branch Railroad Station, 1863. It was this location that President Lincoln stopped on his way to Gettysburg. more
Center Square - 1863
Scene of hand to hand combat during the Battle of Hanover
Center Square - 1863
General Kilpatrick's Headquarters in Central Hotel
W. C. Clausen Collection
Abbottstown Street - 1863
originally named Pigeon Street, later Broadway. Facing towards intersection with York Street. [centennial]
Carlisle Street - 1865


Baltimore Street - 1870
First bicycle - circa 1870
The child in his picture is riding a velocipede
Center Square - 1873
Hanover Opera House
circa 1875 [centennial]

The Concert Hall was located on the southwestern corner of Center Square, was used as a hospital after the Battle of Hanover. It was razed  around 1900. The hall was built by V. C. S. Eckhart, and served the community as a social, musical and entertainment center for many years. Circa 1875

Central Hotel - 1893 -facing Frederick Street, Carlisle Street to the right.
W. C. Clausen Collection

1901- 1910

Viewing original full-size pictures

Baltimore Street from the Square - circa 1900
J. W. Gitt Building on Center Square - prior to 1904 [cmch] Central Hotel - 1905 - Frederick Street is to the left, Carlisle Street to the right.
W. C. Clausen Collection
Frederick Street
circa 1906 - [pbh]
Baltimore Street- circa 1909
Carlisle Street from the Square - circa 1910 [cmch] York Street from E. Middle Street - circa 1910 [cmch]
View from the copula of the Eichelberg Building circa 1907
Union Train Station - 1906
Hanover Savings Bank on Carlisle Street - 1909
Hanover Fire Company, No. 1 on Chestnut St. - circa 1910
Opera House - 1906. Later know as the Park Theater located on W. Chestnut St. behind the Sheppard Mansion
Peoples Bank on Center Square circa 1906, deposit bag from Peoples National Bank, 1954

Eichelberger Park - Became Forest Park located on Baltimore Street
see more of Eichelberger Park at the Barbara Chronister Collection

See more pictures of Eichelberger Park and Forest Park in the
Barbara Chronister Collection
1906 [cmch] 1906 [cmch] 1910 - [pbh]

U.S. Post Office when located on Broadway
see more of the Post Office at the Barbara Chronister Collection

circa 1910 [pbh] circa 1910 [pbh] circa 1915 [cmch]

1911- 1920

Viewing original full-size pictures
Soldiers' Monument at
Mt. Olivet Cementery
circa 1911 [cmch]
Young Memorial Library - 1911
Trolley on Baltimore Street - circa 1912 [cmch] Broadway looking towards York Street from the square - 1913
Sheppard Mansion 1914
Park Theater in background
Myers Mansion - Corner of Baltimore and W. Hanover Streets. circa 1915 - [pbh] Hanover Savings Fund Society Building - 1914 [cmch] Union Station and Young Memorial Library close to Eichelberg High School
circa 1915 - [pbh]

1921- 1930

Viewing original full-size pictures

J. W. Gitt Building on Center Square - 1921 [cmch]
This building became the Penney's Department Store.

Gitt Building - 1925
The building burned on April 1, 1950 and was rebuilt by the J.C. Penney, Co.
W. C. Clausen Collection


1951- 1960

Viewing original full-size pictures

Horace J. Stine, Burgess of the Borough of Hanover
1951 - 1954
Contributed by Fred Stine [Class of 1952]


Richard McAllister.

In 1745, Richard McAllister, a Scotch Irishman, purchased a tract of land on which the original town of Hanover was built. The land was covered with a dense forest of hickory, walnut and oak trees. Richard McAllister’s plantation was crossed by the Monocacy Road which extended from the Susquehanna River at Wrightsville to Frederick, Maryland. A road was built from Maryland to the site of Hanover and later to Carlisle.

At the northeast corner of Baltimore and Middle Streets, where these two public highways crossed each other, Richard McAllister erected a log house and opened a store and tavern in 1745. This log building was two and one-half stories high. It was later cased in with brick and in 1915 still stood where it was built 170 years prior. Richard McAllister became an influential man in the community, and in 1750, the year after York County was organized, was a candidate for the office of Sheriff.

In 1763, McAllister laid out his farm into lots and founded the town of Hanover. In his plan he named the streets diverging from Centre Square, Carlisle, York, Baltimore and Frederick, in honor of the towns towards which they led. Abbottstown Street (Broadway), originally known as Pigeon Street was named at a later date. At this time John Schmeltzer resided at the southeast corner of Frederick Street and Centennial Avenue in a log house. John Nusser purchased the first lot in the town, situated two doors west of the Methodist Church. Soon afterwards lots were purchased and houses built where the Rupp residence stands on Frederick Street, one on the north side of Broadway, near the Square, and another on the opposite side of the same street.






The child in this picture is riding a velocipede which is a tricycle. However, the word is used to describe two other types of self-propelled wheeled machines:

  1. Any of several early bicycles having pedals attached to the front wheel.

  2. An early bicycle propelled by pushing the feet along the ground while straddling the vehicle.