Farm interior at the Hanover Public Library
Shown here is the interior paneling from the
Forney Farmhouse which was razed in 1961. It was located on Frederick Street.
Besides the beautiful interior woodwork, the Farm had important
historical significance related to the Battle of Hanover. General George
A. Custer's Michigan cavalry brigade was deployed just south of the
Forney Farm in the village of Pennville adjacent to the farm. They
crawled on their hands and knees into the Forney’s field and fired on
the enemy who were 300 yards to the east.
here for pictures of the original
location of the farm.
Paneling from the great room
on the first floor of the Forney house.
Carolyn Clausen Harrell
visits her fathers archive in Aug. of 1987
The picture to the far left
was taken of the parlor while the Forney house was still standing. Mrs.
Harrell's father, Wilfred C. Clausen, restored the paneling in the two
rooms for display in the Hanover Public Library.
tedious hours removing layers and layers of paint and refinishing
the oak to its original color.
Forney parlor, 2001
Town Square and Central Hotel
Date stone from springhouse
located on Forney Farm, 1760
The four digital pictures
above were taken by
Paul Hentz of the Forney Exhibit in March of 2001. Other archive items
were displayed at that time some of which can be viewed
The Hanover Public Library is
currently being renovated. We will post pictures of the exhibit when the
renovations are complete.