New England Colonial Ensign

1608 A.D.

Red field with the red cross of St. George in the canton. (C9)

Merchant ships and especially war vessels sometimes flew a flag at the stern which included the red cross of St. George. In November of 1624, John Endicott, a Pilgrim leader, denounced the flag because the St. George symbol was given to the king by the Pope. The St. George Cross was removed from the ensign. The flag was used elsewhere in the Colonies until the beginning of the Revolution.