Chronister Collection

Click on thumbnails  for view full-size version.

contributed by Barbara Chronister
Class of 1954


Opera House - later Park Theater. Except for the first frame below, the rest of the frames are photographs.

The original Opera House on West Chestnut Street eventually became the Park Theater. It was located just west of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church, east of the High Street Grade School, north of Wirt Park and almost across the street from the Neas House. It was from this building that the announcement was made about the gift of the Eichelberg building to the community by A. W. Eichelberger. It was demolished in the summer of 1967 and replaced with a structure owned by St. Matthew's.
1906 map
The St. Matthew's Education (Sunday School) building replaced the Park Theater in 1969
from corner of N. Franklin and W. Chestnut Streets from N. Franklin looking towards W. Chestnut St.