Chronister Collection

Click on thumbnails  for view full-size version.

contributed by Barbara Chronister
Class of 1954


Art Guild Lithographs
click on thumbnail pictures for viewable version

"Conewago Chapel" or Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, built in 1787, is located just West of Hanover, near Edge Grove. It was founded by the Jesuit Missionaries in the early 1700's and was the first church established West of the Susquehanna. Today it is the oldest Catholic Church building in the U.S. built of stone. Illustration by Jane Alcott.

"Menges Mills,'' a small community located about 6 mites East of Hanover, whose name it is believed to have originated from the establishment of several mills in early times. One being a flour mill owned and operated by P. H. Menges- Illustration by Storm Nehr.

"The Picket", commemorating the Battle of Hanover on June30, 1863, stands on the Northeast quadrant of the Square. The statue is the work of well renowned sculpture Cryus Dallin. The statue was erected by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1904. Illustration by Stephen Stroup.

"Hanover Train Station", located 2 blocks North of the Square on Railroad St., was formerly owned and operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad It was last used as a passenger station on Dec. 31. 1942. However,  it was used for freight service until the late 1950's, The station is now the site of an Insurance Agency. Illustration by Stephen Stroup.

The Neas House which was built c 1783- Located on the corner of Chestnut and  High St., Hanover, Pa. Drawing depicts the Neas House as it has been restored by the Hanover Area Historical Society.  Illustration by Stephen Stroup.

Shirks and Slagle as it appeared in 1872. Located at 40 Broadway. Hanover, Pa. Presently Shirks Hardware. Illustration by Jane Alcott.

Former Waterworks Building on Black Rock Road, Hanover, PA. Illustration by Storm Nehr.

Ivy Hall. located near Hanover, Pa., one of the four original Lilly Homesteads built between 1736 and 1800. Also, the location of the Lilly Mill on the Conewago Creek. Illustration by Cindy Washburn.


 Fountain at Wirt Park
Originally in Center Square in early 1870s
St. Matthew's Lutheran Church with Wren Spire St. Matthew's Lutheran Church Central Hotel
Old Pleasant Hill Hotel on Baltimore Street the Picket Monument Center Square and the Picket Monument Covered Bridge near Conewago Chapel
Richard McAllister Residence  Barn on Forney Farm
engagement during Battle of Hanover